For the crust: 6 Tbsp cold vegan butter (or chilled coconut oil with varied results) 1 1/4 cup unbleached flour 1/4 tsp salt 6 Tbsp ice cold water
For the filling: 1 1/2 15-ounce cans pumpkin puree 1/4 cup maple syrup 1/4 cup brown sugar 1/3 cup unsweetened plain almond milk Tbsp olive oil 2 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder 1 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice 1/4 tsp sea salt
LET'S GET BAKING...
1. To prepare crust, add unbleached flour and salt to a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Slice the cold butter in and work gently with a fork cut it in. Don’t overwork, just get it incorporated.
2. Next add ice cold water a little at a time and use a wooden spoon to stir. Only add as much water as you need to help it come together.
3. Once a loose dough is formed, transfer to a piece of plastic wrap and work gently with your hands to form a 1/2 inch thick disc. Wrap firmly and refrigerate for a minimum 30 minutes, up to 2 days. Just let it warm back up a little before using. You don’t want it too warm or it can get too soft to handle.
4. Once your dough is chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare pie filling.
5. Add all pie ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
6. To roll out the crust, unwrap the disc and place it between two sizable layers of parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to gently roll it into the shape of your pie pan. If it cracks, don’t stress - you can reform it with your hands once you get it in the pan. But try and be gentle.
7. To transfer the crust, remove the top layer of parchment paper and gently lay the pie dish face down on top of the crust and use the support of the parchment paper to quickly but carefully invert it.
8. Once you get the crust inverted, gently use your hands to form it into the pan, working the crust up along the sides. It can be a little tricky but it bakes beautifully, so it’s worth the effort! Just try not to overwork the dough in the process - it shouldn’t take more than a few minutes to perfect the shape. Any holes or cracks can be mended with a little excess dough and the heat of your hand.
9. Pour filling into pie crust and bake for 55 minutes. The crust should be light golden brown and the filling will still be just a bit jiggly and have some cracks on the top. Remove from oven and let cool completely before loosely covering and transferring to the refrigerator to fully set for 4-6 hours, preferably overnight.
💕 🐭 💕